#028 — What To Do If Your W-2 Form is Incorrect
Welcome to those visiting my site from Prime Time Money! Take a look around and feel free to subscribe or add me to your feed. The following is a companion post to my guest post on What To Do If Your 1099 Form Is Incorrect.
What to do if your W-2 form is incorrect
Before requesting any IRS action, you must first attempt to remedy the situation with your employer by sending a request in writing to your employer to re-send a corrected W-2 form. Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your correspondence.
Form W-2 complaint procedure
When an IRS representative initiates a Form W-2 complaint, a letter is sent to your employer giving them ten (10) days to furnish a corrected W-2, and lists the applicable punishments & fines for noncompliance.
You will be sent a letter containing instructions and Form 4852, which may be used if your employer does not provide you a corrected W-2 form in time to file your tax return. You can also download it from the following link:
- Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.
Tax season sure can be stressful, but hopefully this and other tax tips will make this year a little easier on you!
- First Post: Inauguration Day — My Own Inaugural Ball
- My dog Odie: How Socks Can Affect Your Emergency Fund
- The MyMoneyMinute Economic Stimulus Plan
- Beyond the Paper: How Your Digital Imprint Affects Employment
photo by BallGame68