Posts Tagged ‘W-2’

#028 — What To Do If Your W-2 Form is Incorrect

March 17th, 2009


Welcome to those visiting my site from Prime Time Money!  Take a look around and feel free to subscribe or add me to your feed.  The following is a companion post to my guest post on What To Do If Your 1099 Form Is Incorrect.

What to do if your W-2 form is incorrect

As with my 1099-Misc issue, I called the IRS help line at (800) 829-1040, and here’s what I learned about pending W-2 issues:

Before requesting any IRS action, you must first attempt to remedy the situation with your employer by sending a request in writing to your employer to re-send a corrected W-2 form.  Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your correspondence.

If your employer is not cooperative, and it is past February 15th, contact the IRS help line at (800) 829-1040.  The IRS will initiate a Form W-2 complaint.

Form W-2 complaint procedure

When an IRS representative initiates a Form W-2 complaint, a letter is sent to your employer giving them ten (10) days to furnish a corrected W-2, and lists the applicable punishments & fines for noncompliance.

You will be sent a letter containing instructions and Form 4852, which may be used if your employer does not provide you a corrected W-2 form in time to file your tax return.  You can also download it from the following link:

Tax season sure can be stressful, but hopefully this and other tax tips will make this year a little easier on you!


Suggested MyMoneyMinute posts:

  1. First Post: Inauguration Day — My Own Inaugural Ball
  2. My dog Odie:  How Socks Can Affect Your Emergency Fund
  3. The MyMoneyMinute Economic Stimulus Plan
  4. Beyond the Paper: How Your Digital Imprint Affects Employment

photo by BallGame68

taxes , ,